Total Pageviews

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Nichi8ren on stupid persons

"And so, when I, neither hesitating to speak out nor fearing others, tell them
frankly that they are stupid persons who have misunderstood the true meaning of
the Buddhist teachings, and that they are slanderers of the Law; when I deliver
a sharp rebuke to them, mindful of the Buddha’s golden words "then that monk is
betraying Buddhism" and trusting in the passage of scripture that reads, "We
will be envoys of the World Honored One, facing the assembly without fear";
when I do this, censuring those who "suppose they have attained what they have
not attained, being proud and boastful in heart," then how can they fail to
turn upon me with hatred and jealousy?" (The Teachings in Accordance With the
Buddha's Mind).

"Although I try to point out that this country is full of people who would like
to do away with the Lotus Sutra, no one understands me, and so they merely go
on committing errors of stupidity. And now, in addition, a votary of the Lotus
Sutra has made his appearance, so that the people of Japan, on top of their
stupidity, give way to anger, favoring erroneous teachings and viewing the
correct teaching with hatred. In a country where the three poisons [of greed,
anger and stupidity] prevail to such a degree, how can there be peace and
stability?"(The Bodies and Minds of Ordinary Beings).

"And yet, the people of today, both the distinguished and the lowly, look with
contempt upon Shakyamuni Buddha, their father in the present world, and instead
revere Amida or Dainichi, who are strangers to them, persons with whom they
have no connection at all. In doing so, are they not lacking in filial piety?
Are they not slanderers of the Law? When I say this, however, all the people of
Japan join together in reviling me.

And it is quite natural that they should, for the crooked piece of wood hates
the straightness of the carpenter’s string, and the dishonest man is not
pleased with the honest administration of government."(The Teaching In
Accordance with the Buddha's Mind)

"However, because there was no one who understood this situation, it has been
impossible to remedy it. I am generally aware of these matters, and therefore
try to repay the debt of gratitude I owe my country [by speaking the truth],
but people only hate me for it."(White Horses and White Swans).

1 comment: