Total Pageviews

Friday, July 19, 2013

KH Going Forth for the Sake of the Lotus Sutra 2013

KH Going Forth for the Sake of the Lotus Sutra 2013

Dear all American Kempon Hokke,

In light of what has happened with the priest in Japan. I felt compelled to reach out to all the believers for the sake of the Lotus Sutra, and each person’s faith, and to make an important statement. My Hope!

First I want to say I have a deep appreciation for all Kempon Hokke believers, and I know we have all experienced many difficult changes.

Thus, I want to reach out to each and every one of you with hope that each person will make it to the other shore, despite the incredible hardship we all have endured; for we all know it is the hardship that the Kempon Hokke has endured that proves it validity.

When I think of the great Buddhist scholars that have been produced by the trails and tribulation (hatred and jealousy) they have shared, it moves my heart. At times we are mad at each other, and then next we are friends again. Thus, are not the “maras” rampant as the sutra states, so do we let them win? It appears they have done a good job to push all of us apart. Are we that weak?

The talent and abilities seen by those that have taken faith and studied the Kempon Hokke are real. People become real Nichiren Buddhist, this has been by all of your efforts; so do we remain divided now by all the events that have occurred as warned by Nichiren and the Sutra? What good is our knowledge if we quit now? What are we to do?

Knowledge is meaningless if we cannot understand this simple point that the maras have defeated us if we don’t go forward with the Lotus Sutra. I am not going to quote Nichiren here to my fellow believers because I respect that you know well Nichiren doctrine and what the sutra states. Remember each person here was excommunicated for pointing out in someway or another that they (Japan) were not upholding the Dharma, so that is why we find ourselves in this position, we should all be proud, but as you know that celebration is meaningless if we stop now. I hope you will consider my words.

I propose we use the strategy of the Lotus Sutra, which is to go forward despite our difference for the sake of the Lotus Sutra. Thus, let us all forget the past and pull the American Kempon Hokke together under the banner of, “The Right Old Doctrine.”

Let us not judge each other, stop the, ‘he did this to me’ or ‘she said this,’ we're Buddhist right? Let us be mature practitioners, scholars of faith that now have the power and influence to set in motion, a foundation with the Lotus Sutra at the center that will be here when we pass.

Let us respect Mr. Lamont’s writings and the Maltz’s wonderful contribution to the American Kempon Hokke. As we all know if we speak ill of each other it cuts one off from the blessing of the Hokekyo. Each person is worthy of respect, and is the Sangha itself.

I am confident we can form a fair charter, a plan and rules for propagation that all can be involved in, so the Sangha will live long and prosper. Let us put egos down and cherish each other, H. G. Lamont, Bruce and Stephanie Maltz, Rogow, where can you find such Buddhist knowledge and people that care about the Lotus Sutra any where else in the world? Not possible. Can anyone believe Doctor Mark Rogow’s relentless efforts, talk about, ‘not sparing one’s bodily life,’ could anyone doubt he is a Bodhisattva?

We still have time to do this right. I hold no grudges and offer an “olive branch” of trust and hope to all that will join me in my proposal. I stand as the Sangha’s footman to all, humble before the Buddha to serve my fellow believers in faith and with honest intention for the sake of the Lotus Sutra.

I hope together we can come to realize that when we gain a deep knowledge of Buddhism, sometimes we can lose the point that Buddhism is solely for the purpose of, “saving and liberating beings.” Think for a moment what we could achieve together; we would be a force that would shake the world, well’ at least America in six ways! The resources we have together would make it possible, working as practitioners and scholars to lay a solid foundation for the Lotus Sutra proper on American soil, which as you know does not exist. I think it is an incredible opportunity, and I do not want to miss it, and regret it.

Many of us have been through many painful situations dealing with the Kempon Hokke Japan, and when one looks back it appears the Kempon Hokke America and Japan continue to work counter to propagating the Lotus Sutra, dividing each one of us. I do not want to blame, or look back, I just want to tell you that I feel it is our turn, our time to spread Buddhism from the West.

I pray to the eternal Buddha that we can come together as equals, making a sound plan and create a Lotus Sutra society that will spread far and wide. I have been praying that some how in this terrible age we could SPIKE the sharp sword of the Lotus Sutra deep into the earth of the American soil, so that all will accord with the mind of the Buddha, and let it never be removed!

Remember we are Buddha’s children and if we come together and forgive each other and respect each other as we once did, we will win and gain the respect I believe of eighty thousand kotis of Buddhas!

I will leave it at that and can only continue praying that my words will be heard by each person, Mr. Lamont we have all been tricked by the Japanese Kempon Hokke system of dishonoring Nichiren, let us put it all behind us, you have done nothing wrong, but be tricked like the rest of us. Let us all be friends again for the sake of the Hokekyo, there is still time even if just limited; we need you please, we must go forward; and it would be an honor to put your writing back up properly.

Can you imagine the look on the Soka Gakkai, NS’s face when they find out all of the American Kempon Hokke has united under the banner of the Hokekyo?

With my deep respect,
Namu Myoho renge kyo!


Always,
Reverend Stephen Shonin""

2 comments:

  1. dear stephen, i appreciate what you have to say and mostly agree. the only true sangha is nichiren and his followers. shakyamuni and then nichiren in the latter age are two hands clapping making one sound. that sound is the lotus sutra(myoho renge kyo). we need no other sangha. let us do what we can.

    greg romero

    ReplyDelete