Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Nichiren on chanting lots of Daimoku

Reply to Lord Matsuno 
- Matsuno-dono Gohenji - 

I have received one kan of coins, one sho of oil, a robe and ten writing brushes. I cannot adequately express my appreciation for the sincerity that you have always shown me, so I will leave it to the Lotus Sutra and Shakyamuni Buddha to praise you. 

Just as I have said before, as a layman, you should singlemindedly chant Namu-myoho-renge-kyo morning and evening, day and night, and then witness the results at the last moment of your life. [At that time,] hasten up the mountain of wondrous enlightenment and look around you in all directions. You will see that the entire universe is the Land of Tranquil Light. The ground will be of lapis lazuli, and the eight paths will be set apart by golden ropes. Four kinds of flowers will rain down from the heavens, and music will resound in the air. All Buddhas and bodhisattvas will be present, caressed by the breezes of eternity, happiness, true self and purity. We, too, will surely count ourselves among their number. The Lotus Sutra is indeed this splendid! 

As I am in a hurry, I cannot go into details. 

With my deep respect, 
Nichiren 

No comments:

Post a Comment