Total Pageviews

Friday, November 28, 2014

A Letter to My Lady the Nun, Widow of Lord Ueno

UENO-DONO GOKE-AMA GOZEN GOSHO (A Letter to My Lady the Nun, Widow of Lord Ueno, NOPPA)

I heard with sadness that your son, Shichiro Goro, passed away. Everybody knows, regardless wise or ignorant, high or low in rank, all men are born to die. Therefore, we should not be saddened or alarmed at death. I know this and have taught it to the people. Upon the death of your beloved son, however, I can't tell whether it is a dream or a vision. As a mother, you must be all the more sad.

You survived the death of your parents, brothers, and beloved husband, but I suppose that you have many children who must have been a consolation to you. Nevertheless, you now have lost a beloved son, who was extraordinarily handsome and so dependable that everyone was looking forward to seeing him as a grown-up man. It must be too much for you to lose such a fine son, just like an opening flower withered by cold wind or the full moon suddenly covered by clouds.

I don't want to believe that your son really passed away, so I don't feel like writing about it now. I will write to you again later.

Respectfully yours,
Nichiren
In Response to Lord Ueno

P.S. When I saw your son on the 15th of the 6th month of this year, I received the impression that he was spirited and manly. It is very sad that I can never see him again. However, as he believed in Sakyamuni Buddha and the Lotus Sutra, his last moment must have been peaceful. His spirit will go to the Pure Land of the Mt. Sacred Eagle, where his father is, and he will be happy to see his father face to face and be hand in hand with him. How wonderful it is!

5 comments:

  1. In the world of Lotus Sutra comes down to this simple word FAITH !.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nichiren's letters are often very poetic. You can see that his writing with his heart, with his own blood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes. Many emotions well up reading his writings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Obviously, when having Faith, and i mean True Genuine and deep Faith , there is nothing that can bring a person down, not even death.

    And agreed, Nichirens' dedication speaks from every piece that he wrote. With steadfast faith and extreme dedication to the Lord Buddha and the Lotus Sutra .


    ReplyDelete