Total Pageviews

Wednesday, December 31, 2014

"I always found this type of thinking oppressive, and am glad to be away from it."

> >TOKYO JOURNAL 
> >THE OLDEST ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER IN TOKYO 
> >August 1993 
> >Daisaku Ikeda -- statesman, billionaire, god 
> >Daisaku Ikeda's followers believe he is the earthly incarnation 
> >of a saint; those who believe otherwise suffer his 
> >god-like wrath. 

SGI senior leader Jim Celer: I'm one of his followers. I don't believe 
he is an earthly incarnation of a saint, and I've never suffered wrath, 
god-like or otherwise. 

George: So says Celer in this newsgroup.  However, when you read his 
writings in the World Tribune, one finds an avid Ikeda worshipper 
who is well qualified to receive the brown nose of the month award. 
Another instance of the SGI proclaiming publicly a view that is at 
variance with its actual beliefs. 

In the August 15, 1997, World Tribune on p. 2, Celer states:  "SGI 
President Ikeda has always gone first in showing us how to apply the 
Daishonin's Buddhism to ourselves and society.  If 'I am the SGI- 
USA,' I must absorb his guidance and do my part to make this the 
model organization for the world, to look for responsibility and be 
successful in fulfilling it." 

In an article from the World Tribune of April 4, 1997, Celer states 
(paragraph breaks omitted):  "Reflecting on my own practice, I see I 
have not quite managed to build a 'diamond-like body.' [as advocated 
by Ikeda] Why not?  President Ikeda gives me an answer:  'For half a 
century, except for a 10-day period when I was ill, I [Ikeda, not Celer] 
have not rested for a single day.  I have worked unceasingly, solely 
for kosen-rufu and the happiness of the members.  I have exerted 
myself tirelessly in action and deed.  And I have written prodigiously' 
(p. 11).  After 25 years of practice, of course, things have changed 
immensely, and I [Celer, not Ikeda] live in what might be called 
'comfortable' conditions:  money, a nice house, a loving wife, and my 
child doing well in school.  Many members are beginning to look for 
and take responsibility.  So by focusing my eyes a certain way, I can 
believe that 'there's nothing for me to do today.'  Yet President Ikeda 
never feels this way." 

After recounting two instances in which Celer alleges that he was 
motivated by Ikeda's guidance, he concludes:  "So now, owing so 
much to this man, knowing that he is tireless in his efforts and 
knowing that there are still so many people who do not know of or 
understand the greatness of Nichiren Daishonin's Buddhism AND 
[emphasis added]  the organization that propagates it, how can I feel 
comfortable?  After all, I have a lifelong mentor who every second 
demonstrates that the way to build a 'diamond-like body' is to 'refute 
that which is erroneous and spread the True Law'"

It appears to me that even an obviously diligent SGI member like Jim 
is expected to feel like the lowest of lowlives in comparison to the 
peerless, self-proclaimed perfection of the 20th Century Buddha.  In 
other words, the member is merely a nothing who can only be 
redeemed by the magnificence of Daisaku Ikeda.  Perhaps this fills 
Jim with "hope and determination," as he later states in his article.  
always found this type of thinking oppressive, and am glad to be 
away from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment