Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Nichiren's mentor or SGI's mentor

“It means to have a mentor in your heart while standing on your own two feet. President Toda resides in my heart. This is not something you speak out loud; it’s a matter of the heart. This is because unity is something that exists inside you.’ At all times, no matter where I am, I feel as if I am constantly engaging in dialogue with President Toda as I go about my activities. Our unity exists within me. This unity of mentor and disciple transcends distance and time...” -- Taisaku Ikeda

"When in one’s heart one takes faith in Namu-myoho-renge-kyo, the heart becomes a dwelling and Shakyamuni Buddha takes up residence there. At first one is not aware of this, but gradually, as the months go by, the Buddha in the heart begins to appear as in a dream, and one’s heart becomes bit by bit ever more joyful. Numerous are the teachings of Buddhism in this regard, but I will not go into them here."

"Moreover, passages in the sutra tell us that when demons have entered a person’s body, that person cannot take faith in the sutra, but when the spirit of Shakyamuni Buddha has entered one’s body, then one can believe in this sutra. When the reflection of the moon enters the water, the water becomes pure. In the same way, the reflection of the moon that is Shakyamuni Buddha, the lord of teachings, has entered the waters of your heart, [and your heart has become pure]. I find this most reassuring."

It is precisely because Daisaku Ikeda rather than Shakyamuni Buddha has entered their heart that they disbelieve the Sutra and the teachings of Nichiren. 

"If we examine the Lotus Sutra, we find it stated that, in cases like these, Shakyamuni Buddha enters into a person and inspires such determination in that person’s heart. It is like someone who, with no particular thought in mind, drinks sake and becomes intoxicated. After he is intoxicated, a quite unexpected desire arises in his heart and he is inspired to give away his belongings to other people. Although the person has all his life been stingy and greedy and is destined for rebirth in the realm of hungry spirits, because of the effect of the sake, he is able to enter the realm of a bodhisattva."

2 comments:

  1. Don't you just love this 'say one thing but do another':

    "This is not something you speak out loud; it’s a matter of the heart. (The personal relationship with one's mentor - my italics)"

    So, in the "Who Wants to be a Billionaire" game show. What happened next - did he:

    A) Say no more about it?
    B) Say quite a lot out loud about it?
    C) Keep it to himself?
    D) Tell us about big pink fluffy pom-poms?

    (Building music with a click ticking sound effect)

    Host: 'Remember, "This is not something you speak out loud; it’s a matter of the heart." he's talking about his personal relationship with his mentor...take your time... You can ask the audience, phone a friend or go 50/50....what are you going to go for, A,B,C,or D?'

    Host: 'You've gone for D!! Well he's a jolly, jovial guy but I'm sorry, bad luck the answer is B!'

    Here's what he said next...

    "It means to have a mentor in your heart while standing on your own two feet. President Toda resides in my heart."

    And

    "At all times, no matter where I am, I feel as if I am constantly engaging in dialogue with President Toda as I go about my activities."

    And

    "Our unity exists within me. This unity of mentor and disciple transcends distance and time..."

    Host: 'it's a tough one, I wouldn't have go that either...I'm afraid you go home with nothing but thanks for being game and paying to appear on Who Wants To Be A Billionaire!' Cheesy smile, cut to ads.

    ReplyDelete