Total Pageviews

Sunday, October 9, 2016

Daisaku Ikeda versus Nichiren # 100

"I remained silent for 10 years concerning the behavior of the priesthood." -- Daisaku Ikeda

"I, Nichiren, am the only person who is aware of this. If I should begrudge my life and thus refrain from speaking out, not only would I be failing to repay the debt of gratitude I owe to my country, but I would also be acting as an enemy of Shakyamuni Buddha, the lord of teachings. On the other hand, I knew from the outset that, if I set aside my fears and declared things exactly as they are, I would be sentenced to death. And even if I should escape the death penalty, I would surely be condemned to exile. So great is the debt of gratitude I owe the Buddha, however, that I have not let others intimidate me, but have spoken out."

1 comment:

  1. ""I remained silent for 10 years concerning the behavior of the priesthood." -- Daisaku Ikeda<<"

    What Ikeda actually meant by this , is that it took him that long --10 years, to figure out how he could establish his own religion-- and still keep the appearance of Nichiren's Buddhism without violating Nichiren Shoshu's copyright ---

    Not particularly impressive-- most flawed schemes are the product of random ideas that pop into someones' s head--- the fact that Ikeda spent ten years on this one is nothing remarkable--

    ~Katie

    ReplyDelete