Total Pageviews

Sunday, November 18, 2018

The coward Ikeda versus the Lion of the Law, Nichiren Daishonin

"I remained silent for 10 years concerning the behavior of the priesthood." -- Daisaku Ikeda

"I, Nichiren, am the only person who is aware of this. If I should begrudge my life and thus refrain from speaking out, not only would I be failing to repay the debt of gratitude I owe to my country, but I would also be acting as an enemy of Shakyamuni Buddha, the lord of teachings. On the other hand, I knew from the outset that, if I set aside my fears and declared things exactly as they are, I would be sentenced to death. And even if I should escape the death penalty, I would surely be condemned to exile. So great is the debt of gratitude I owe the Buddha, however, that I have not let others intimidate me, but have spoken out."

No comments:

Post a Comment