Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 27, 2019

Guided by Sutra (Law) or by Mentor (person)?

"...in my original prayer I made a vow that: I should not have a prejudice in favor of any sect; I should adopt whichever sect shows evidence of being the teaching of the Buddha and is reasonable; I should be guided solely by the sutras, not by the commentators of India, translators and minister-masters in China; regarding the doctrines of Buddhism, I should not be afraid of even being punished by a king, not to talk of persecutions by the people below him; I should not follow instructions against the Buddha's teachings even if they are given by my parents, teacher and elder brother; and I should speak up honestly as expounded in sutras regardless whether or not people believe in me." (Refutation to Ryokan-bo)

No comments:

Post a Comment