#10 | Written by Curtis McCosco about 3 months ago.
After 35 years away from the “org”, SGI, I’ve been dropping in at a local district in what Nichiren would have referred to as “a remote province”. The level of discourse has, if anything, gotten even more watered down to motivational bromides and “just chant” solutions. Even more distressing, membership appears to have declined from when I was active; an era referred to as the bad old days of incorrect practice. Leaders define Middle Way as a compromise, and when I mention “mutual possession” their eyes glaze. What gives?
I agree with the question, “why aren’t there any songs about Nichiren” and take that one step further; why is SGI still promoting the oxymoronic “world peace through individual happiness” and not something along the lines of “awakening to your true identity as a bodhisattva of the earth”? Nichiren’s kick-ass approach to enlightenment is perfectly suited for today when true wisdom teachings are emerging from the earth of indigenous cultures; fresh water into old roots. Mindfulness is a perfect example. This is a wildly popular practice with real-world benefits. It’s what I call Ichinen Sanzen Lite. The Lotus Sutra exhibits all the major principles of quantum theory. Star Wars and Avatar have nothing on the spectacular Ceremony in the Air, except the conspicuous absence of violence.
Nichiren Buddhism is the most exciting teaching I’ve ever encountered, but what do we get as the public face; the World Tribune and Living Buddhism. Mention Buddhism in America and you get references to the Dalai Lama, Thich Nat Han, and Zen. Why not Nichiren? I love all of Buddhism, but Nichiren is my main man. So I talk it up among friends; have for nearly half a century. There are probably 50 people I communicate regularly about Nichiren and the Lotus Sutra, not encumbered by any master, as Nichiren was not, as Nagarjuna was not.
One last note, please indulge me this lengthy post. Back in the ’80s I was working in the music biz in Hollywood and ate regularly at an east side sushi bar where the guy with the knife was a drinking buddy. His wife was in Nichiren Shu, so we talked about Nichiren a lot. He directed me to a place downtown called the Japan Society, or something, to do non-sectarian research. There was a lot about Nichiren and Shijo Kingo in the historical record. Nichiren was often referred to by a Japanese term with no translation. I asked my pal about it. He said it means “badass”. Nichiren was a badass and the samurai loved him.
well , kurt sounds more sane then most early american members. i would encourage him to truly study the teachings and be very wary of the sgi/nst. i have not seen him for many years , but knew him quite well.
ReplyDeletecheers kurt, thanks for your thoughts.