Total Pageviews

Monday, November 28, 2022

A few passages, especially for SGI members to ponder

"I SUGGEST you begin the religious debate with these words:] “Although I am an ignorant layman, among the teachings I have heard, I was especially impressed by the passage in the second volume of the Lotus Sutra that reads, ‘Now this threefold world [is all my domain . . . ]’”1 This sutra passage means that this country of Japan is the domain of Shakyamuni Buddha. In addition to the fact that all the gods, such as the Sun Goddess, Great Bodhisattva Hachiman, and Emperor Jimmu, and all the people, from the ruler of the nation on down, dwell within his realm, he is the Buddha to whom we living beings are greatly indebted for three reasons. First, he is our sovereign; second, he is our teacher; and third, he is our father. Among all the Buddhas of the ten directions, only Shakyamuni Buddha is endowed with these three virtues. Therefore, even if all the people of the country of Japan were to serve Shakyamuni Buddha wholeheartedly just as they now do Amida Buddha, if they were to place him side by side with another Buddha and treat him in the same manner, that would still be a grave error. For example, though someone were our own ruler and wise besides, if we were to shift our allegiance to the ruler of another country—for instance, if, while dwelling in Japan, we were to pay honor to the king of China or Koryŏ and slight the sovereign of Japan—could we be called persons who honor the great sovereign of this country?"

"Shakyamuni Buddha is the foremost among all the Buddhas." -- Nichiren

“‘Shakyamuni Buddha, world-honored one of right and universal knowledge, I beg that you will act as my tutor. I beg that Manjushri, endowed with great compassion, will through his wisdom grant me the pure Law of the bodhisattvas. That Bodhisattva Maitreya, excellent sun of great compassion, will take pity on me and for that reason permit me to receive the Law of the bodhisattvas. That the buddhas of the ten directions will manifest themselves in order to bear witness for me, that the great bodhisattvas will each one speak his name, and that these excellent great men will shelter and protect living beings and help me and the others." -- Universal Worthy Sutra, epilogue to the Lotus Sutra

"All the True Word priests go through a secret ceremony of anointment, in which pictures of Shakyamuni Buddha and others are painted on an eight-petaled lotus and the participants tread on them with their feet. And because those who took part in this bizarre ritual were revered and treated as the supervisors of various temples by the Retired Emperor of Oki, power passed into the hands of his common subjects, and he met with disgrace in this life." -- Repaying Debts of Gratitude

"...Sakyamuni Buddha is the supreme leader and excellent eyes for all the people. He is the bridge that enables them to cross the river of evil passions; he is the skipper who guides them over the sea of life and death; and he is the fertile field in which they plant the seed of merits...The meaning of these words in the Lotus Sutra is shiningly clear -- brighter than the sun in the blue sky and the full moon at midnight. Look up and put your faith in it. Prostrate yourself before it and think hard about it." -- Opening of the Eyes

11 comments:

  1. SGI members don’t flock here
    Few who visit eventually move on with pity for mark and his dwindling group of arrogant false sages
    pretty sad actually that mark never developed himself to be caoabke of relating to the very people he wants us to believe he wants “ to save”
    All mark does is fuel animosity and those who get sucked in eventually wake up and leave
    It is due to the blessings of faith in the law that mark has been revealed
    All ecoetiences are lessons for those who embrace Myoho renge kyo
    Mean spirited people are everywhere

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ad Hominem is your cultic mantra. And you have pity for me? You certainly come here every day, hopefully for your edification of what Nichiren actually taught.

      Delete
    2. Feedback
      That’s all I shared
      And a true recounting of personal contract with you

      Delete
    3. I pity the fool. sgi cutlers are ignorant of the real lotus sutra. = turning medicine into poison. really stupid.
      gregorio

      Delete
    4. Now that’s definitely ad hominem ! The kind mark likes, apparently. But, really, how accurate are your pronouncements? Haven’t heard anything but benefit, fortune, “ turning poison to medicine “ from all of the SGI members I’ve re- encountered this past year. Makes me wonder where you get your info ?
      Katie Higgins

      Delete
  2. We live in a pluralistic, multicultural society
    Our constitution separates church snd state
    Freedom to worship according to one’s own beliefs is the premise
    Propagating the daimoku in our society without regard and respect for our cultural/national identity would be ignoring Nichiren’s guidelines on propagation in non-Buddhist countries .
    But common sense dictates realizing the importance of acting in accord with the universal perfect teachings —
    Otherwise hypocritical behavior like that displayed across domains of other religions makes this Buddhism just another exclusive teaching
    I applaud interfaith as evidence SGI understands how important it is to distinguish Nichiren Buddhism as unique and true to its teachings .
    Again, mark shows only intolerance — which is not in accord with zui bini
    First and foremost are the people
    ALL ARE THE BUDDHA’S CHILDREN
    that’s where Mark falls short in his rendition of “ following Nichiren “
    He treats anyone who doesn’t believe what he finds important, with disdain . That was never Nichiren’s behavior ,
    As soon as you disparage and judge, you agent following Nichiren nor are you unfolding Myoho Renge Kyo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look around you at the effect of this pluralistic society and all societies on earth not based on the Lotus Sutra. You are blind. That is to be expected for supporting the Soka Gakkai and going against the injunctions of Nichiren. You hate the real Nichiren and pick and choose Nichiren like a chinese buffet. How sad. How shortsighted you are. Yes, the Lotus Sutra Buddhism is exclusive. There is one door and a narrow path to Buddhahood. Read Chapter 3 of the Lotus Sutra.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m fortunate to live in a multicultural liberal region of this country .
      I look around and see hope filled progress. You shove your self righteous take on Nichiren’s teachings down the throats of people - using the same force and fear mongering trumps crowd is using. It won’t ever work !
      I don’t disparage or trash SGI
      But am not a supporter or member of any organized religion
      I have friends who are members of other religions, I treasure them all.
      I have been reading Nichiren for 34 years and never have viewed him as you do .
      Karma accounts for our different perceptions {
      I hate how you portray Nichiren, claim kinship with him and wipe your dirty hands on him.
      If I didn’t show up here you wouldn’t be revealed for the hypocrite you are .

      Delete
  4. Remind me : how many years are we into the 10,000 years predicted for this degenerative age ?
    And thank you for all you’ve done and do that explains WHY IT WILL TAKE THOUSANDS OF YEARS TO ACCOMPLISH Kosen rufu !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I Chanted for peace in myself and the world. I Chanted from my own heart. Only the bearer of that heart, knows where the peace is, not an outside influence. Malice begets more malice. It hurts the bearer. By bestowing peace and empathy, peace can grow. Follow the ethical eight fold path. We are in need of it now. I have cut myself off, from the turmoil of upset, and influence for 8 days and chanted for peace. It is bearing fruit. There is no winner if your personal world breaks down, or there is general turmoil. No winners in war, really. I cut myself off from twitter and even alternative news. I was nice, and empathetic to all people. I just say, I have to leave now, when ugliness or racism is brought up and casually exit. If  I chant for personal peace and show people that peace is more rewarding than hate and anger, then there's a chance. each person knows their own heart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I appreciate your perspective and share most of it. I do speak up when I hear anyone speaking with hatred and prejudice. I do defend and protect the humanity of vulnerable people whose voices are silenced by those in power . I absolutely condone acting from a peaceful, caring heart and demonstrating joy from the Law. Our behavior as human beings in these troubled times is transformative. Subtle, simple, yet very profound.
    ~ Katie Higgins

    ReplyDelete