Total Pageviews

Monday, April 14, 2014

The Day Before Yesterday Letter and brief commentary

BACKROUND: Nichiren Daishonin's letter to Yorisuna Taira 
(Taira-no-Saemon-no-jo Yoritsuna) was dated the 12th of the 9th month in the 
8th year of the Bun'ei era (1271), the day that Nichiren Daishonin was 
arrested by Yorisuna, narrowly escaping execuion at Tatsunokuchi. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------- - 
-------------------------- 
ISSAKUJITSU GOSHO (The Day Before Yesterday Letter) 

It was a pleasure to have been able to see you the day before yesterday. 
Born to this world, who does not think of the next life!  It is for the sole 
purpose of saving such people that the Buddha appeared in this world. 
Entering the Buddhist priesthood, I studied various dharmas, trying to find 
where the true intent of the Buddhas lay and what dharma is essential for 
emancipation.  I soon found the essence of Buddhism in the Lotus Sutra.  It 
is a fact that the three nations of India, China, and Japan flourished while 
the sutra was revered among their peoples.  Who can doubt this! 

Today in Japan, however, the people have gone astray from the true way of 
the Lotus Sutra, trying to seek refuge in false doctrines. The sages have 
all abandoned this land and protective deities became angry with it. 
Therefore, as a result, seven calamities have befallen this land, one after 
another, and the four seas surrounding it are not longer tranquil. 

Nowadays, everybody in Japan is subject to the military government in the 
East, and all the Japanese people are swayed by Eastern ways.  Born in this 
part of Japan, how can I, Nichiren, not feel concerned about Japan!  This is 
the reason for my writing the Rissho ankoku-ron and presenting it to the 
late Lord Saimyoji, Shogunal Regent Tokiyori, through the Lay Priest Yadoya. 
In recent years, however, western barbarians, the Mongols, have been causing 
trouble for us as they are attempting to invade Japan.  What I predicted 
some years ago is becoming true.   

TÆai-kung-wang invaded the Kingdom of Yin, chastising its last king, Chieh, 
and laying the foundation for the Chou dynasty in ancient China.  This came 
about because TÆai-kung-wang had been warmly received by King Wen of Chou. 
Likewise, Chang Liang plotted against the ChÆin Empire because he was 
touched by the sincerity of Han kao-tse, the founder of the Han dynasty. 
They all received awards for their services either as a member of the 
general planning staff in headquarters, or as a general leading troops 
thousands of miles to win victory. 

A minister who can perceive movements in advance has sagacity, and is among 
the six kinds of righteous ministers preached in the Essentials of Government
Compiled in the Chen-kaun Era (Chen-kaun cheng-yao).  According 
to the Lotus Sutra, he who propagates the teaching of the Lotus Sutra is a 
messenger of the Buddha.  Now I, Nichiren, having respectfully studied the 
Lotus Sutra and Nirvana Sutra, have learned exactly what the true intent of 
the Buddha is.  Besides, I predicted the foreign invasion of Japan, which 
has become roughly true.  My merit may not be as great as those of the 
ancient sages;  yet, I am sure, it is rare among people in later ages. 

My knowledge of the True Dharma of Buddha and my concern over the future of 
our country should deserve recognition from the ruler of Japan.  However, 
due to false charges against me by the followers of false dharmas and evil 
teachings, I have not been able to realize my humble desire despite my 
long-held, great devotion to this country.  Moreover, the inharmonious 
meeting with you the day before yesterday warns me, as it shows me how 
difficult it is to deal with this national crisis. 

I respectfully believe that without climbing Mt. TÆai-shan, one cannot see 
how high heaven is; and that without descending into a deep valley, one 
cannot see how thick the earth is.  Therefore, I would like to present you 
with a fascicle of my Rissho ankoku-ron for your perusal.  What is said in 
it is but a drop in the bucket of what I have in mind.   

You are the leader of this empire today.You cannot afford to ignore 
meaningful writing for this country!  Please reconsider promptly, so that 
our foreign enemies will be repulsed!  Pacification of the world and 
pacification of the country depend on our being loyal and filial.  I do not 
say this for the sake of myself; I say this solely for the sake of the 
sovereign, the Buddha, the gods, and all the people in the world. 

Respectfully yours, 
Nichiren 

'12th of the 9th month in the 8th year of the BunÆei Era (1271) 

To Lord Saemon-no-jo Taira 

Commentary:

Nichiren amazingly wrote to the man who ordered his execution:

"It was a pleasure to have been able to see you the day before yesterday."

He goes on to explain why. I paraphrase,... It is thanks to men such as yourself that the Buddha makes his advent in the world in order to save them. Likewise, it is thanks to the even more slanderous SGI leaders who kill the teachings of the Lotus Sutra and Nichiren that I have made my advent in this world at this time in order to save them. 


No comments:

Post a Comment