Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 20, 2014

"Who are you to come into our house and demand a debate? And you cry "arrogance"?"

Gary: Debating with each person who comes to your door is the spirit of the Daishonin.

Mark: The Daishonin considered debate a solemn and formal affair. He teaches in his writing, The Third Doctrine, "From now on, you need not hold debates in Shimosa. Having defeated Ryosho-bo and Shi'nen-bo, it would only dilute the effect." However, if you promise me that you will convert if defeated, I will debate you. If not, I have better things to do.

Gary: This is how he gained followers in the first place (Please read on how Shijo Kingo began to practice). Did Nichiren Daishonin say to him "I will not answer your questions any further until I speak to your parents. "Absolutely not. Nichiren Daishonin would debate with ANY average Joe to dispel his doubts.

Mark: And your leaders? They won't even answer questions on the most mundane matters, let alone about the very truths of Buddhism and the character of your mentor and the nature of SGI finances. Here is how Nichiren Daishonin [and most people] define debate:

"A formal contest in which the affirmative and negative sides of a proposition are advocated by opposing speakers."

Mark: You don't take cognizance of what the Daishonin writes. I already proved to you that Nichiren stated to his disciple that sometimes, it serves no purpose to debate. If you promise me you will convert if defeated, I will debate you. With whom have you debated and how many debates have you had? Of course, I am not equal to the Nichiren who debated thousands of times and never lost. I have debated dozens of SGI members, NST members, Theravadens, Tibetians, Vajrayanists, Pure Landers, Zennists, Shingon adherents, Yogacarans and non-Buddhists on dozens of topics, perhaps two hundred and fifty debates in all and, unlike Nichiren, I have lost three debates (although I have avenged those defeats with the same persons to whom I lost]. I can supply many dozens of them to you for your perusal including one debate I lost and subsequently avenged to Soren, an SGI member. How many people have you debated? How many have you converted? Who are you to come into our house and demand a debate? And you cry arrogance?

No comments:

Post a Comment