Total Pageviews

Monday, January 1, 2024

Nichiren wrote on his condition in 1281

I HAVE been preaching this doctrine now for twenty-nine years. My body is worn out and my spirit suffers from the daily debates, monthly persecutions, and two exiles. That is why for the last seven or eight years illnesses of aging have assailed me yearly, though none has led to a crisis. This year, however, from the first month on my body has weakened considerably, and I have the feeling that my life is drawing to a close. Besides, I am already sixty years old. Even if there were a slight chance I might survive this year, how could I possibly live another year or two?

“Good advice grates on the ear, and good medicine tastes bitter” are the words of wise men of times past. It is said that a person who is wasting away hates life, and that flatterers never accept remonstrance.

Recently, I have not replied to anyone, whether high or low. The reason is that I feel listless and my hand is heavy. But since this is a serious matter, I think I will bear with my pains and reply... - The Reconstruction of Hachiman Shrine

3 comments:

  1. Intercepting. reading and disseminating the contents of mail/letters addressed specifically to someone other than yourself is actually illegal. It is also repugnant when such actions are employed by one who is pushing a personal agenda that is actually a violation of the authors intent!

    We're all getting old, have illnesses and will die--- Nichiren labored in his writing while you, Mark copy/paste and pontificate on a keyboard , push a button and send it out to the public arena! If you insist on comparing yourself to Nichiren--- where's the tireless effort, thoughtfulness for an intended audience and openness to feedback - even criticism?
    Oops! gotcha !! You are both neglectful and lazy--- and completely apathetic to "your audience".
    ~Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. you too will experience illness and death but you focus on my condition which I've had for 8 years and I'm enjoying my semi-retirement, chanting Namu Myoho renge kyo, doing lots of shoju and shakubuku, and still working part time. I was working full time until May of 2021. I have outlived my father by 6 years. I study Nichiren and the Lotus Sutra nearly every day, desiring little as Nichiren and have no want for anything thanks to receiving the maximum social security and my part-time work. your criticisms of me come from hatred, not the teachings and you are nothing but mean impoverished, and an unhappy person, supporting the SGI and NST members rather than I. Namu Myoho renge kyo Katie.

      Delete