Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Let me tell you a short story

I visited our temple land for the first time, exploring it for four days in the beginning of October. My wife, my old dog Vodka Putt Putt and I drove there in my heretofore rarely driven 2013 Camaro SS with the 1le racing package. We first visited my wife's mother in New Jersey who was doing fantastic [after a long and debilitating illness] and then off to our land. I bought the land 3 years ago sight unseen except for bird-eye/satellite views. The land is on 41 unspoiled Adirondack park acres situated at the confluence of three counties in New York. It is situated in the town of Stratford New York, population 600. The land has 3000 feet of river frontage and is an old growth pine and hardwood forest. Two bluffs overlook the river. One bluff is comprised of ~ 30 acres and is 70 to 100 feet above the river. The other bluff is comprised of 5 acres and is  ~ 20 - 25 feet above the river. The remainder of the property is on the river. The upper bluff connects to the lower bluff by way of a deer trail. The first day I knocked on a neighbors door to see if he would take us around in his ATV. He referred us to another neighbor who we met with the following day. I offered him gas and $100 dollars to take us around in his ATV. We explored the land for several hours. It contained a foundation of a house from the late 1700s and a rock wall from about the same period. The man who took us around was obviously not well to do but he refused to take a dime. The next day we explored the land and the river bank on foot. Vodka Putt Putt went into the fast flowing river that was about three to five feet deep. When he was younger, he could traverse the colorado rapids. This time he went to the middle of the river and then onto a rock because he was afraid to come back to shore. His back legs were on a rock beneath the water and his front legs on a larger rock situated above the water. I exhorted him for ten minutes to "come Vodka, you can do it. You can make it. Let's go Vodka" He wouldn't move so I had to wade into the middle of the river, grabbed his collar, and we made it to shore. Just above our land there is twenty-eight acre spread which is now family owned but we learned that ten years ago it was a Hells Angels safe house. We met several people from the town. One called me today that he put in a small gravel road for us and he too wouldn't accept a dime. He also told us that he took pictures of a bear and her three cubs on our land and was sending it to us as well as pictures of many deer. The river is a world class trout "stream". Best of all, there is not another doctor within almost thirty miles of the property. I can see myself living there and accepting any and all insurance or I will gladly barter for my services. I can't wait to build a temple for Shinkei Marcheso and a small cabin for Nancy, me, the dogs, cat and parrot.



1 comment: