Total Pageviews

Wednesday, November 30, 2022

A noteworthy comment by John Sala

In a way, I appreciate their honesty when SG followers/supporters speak like this, because they're honestly expressing their true beliefs. What's even more telling is that none of the comments on this blog from people who seem to support SG seem to refute this type of personality cult mentality. I'd appreciate that somehow, and that they appreciate what a turn-off this mentality is to people with critical thinking skills. How can they blindly parrot this nonsense?* Part of Buddhism is about study, about using your mind to study sutras, Nichiren's writings etc., not blindly following some "sensei" or sitting around discussing his accomplishments.

*Their obvious to all non-SGI, SGI members worship of the person of Daisaku Ikeda, instead of the Law.

1 comment:

  1. Point taken, John. What I have realized is something that is so simple and basic that it pains me to admit it never occurred to me until these past few years. Who are the members of SGI USA ? They are members of our society, our culture. Why is it a surprise that the the same people who gravitate towards a myriad endeavors that are "cult-like" are also members of SGI?
    I encountered an abhorrent example of cult mentality as a nurse in a Harvard affiliated Hospital-- The shock of seeing how the elite protected themselves; how the best and the brightest had no spine or character or worse, no integrity. I mean they were very far afield from their stated mission , which was window dressing , I learned --for their corruption and greed. I was horrified-- stood up to it and got what every whistle blower gets-- with the added benefit of being able to realize, because I embrace Myoho Renge Kyo, that this was a close encounter with the truth of the three poisons-- . Wanna know how many chose to fall in line with corrupt leaders at this hospital even though they knew better? Wanna know how few stood up and how many put a target on our backs? Cult mentality, brain washing, gas lighting---and need to belong to an elite group - was pervasive. It's definitely a Mappo thing.
    I can't refute what is simply the reality of our society, but I can maintain hope that the SGI "culties", chanting daimoku, will, as a matter of course, open their eyes. I can't force them to, but believe me, I do try!
    After years of frustration, I am careful to "give 9 thoughts to every word" when sharing sure to be upsetting truths about Nichiren's teachings, with members with whom I have good rapport. MY focus is to encourage them to "consider" to "ponder" and chant about the difficult to comprehend teachings, but most of all to believe Nichiren over me.
    Not everyone has critical thinking skills in our country--- Trump was the instrument that demonstrated that pitiful fact!
    ~Katie Higgins

    ReplyDelete