Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Reverend Ryuei, the Universal Universalist "Nichiren" Shu priest, unfortunately, is not alone.

"I've noticed over the years that people are deeply offended and/or disturbed
when I express what I really think about things. That is why more and more I
have been dropping off my participation in any of these groups and only really
dealing with people I know and practice with face-to-face where there is a
situation of ongoing trust and communication. Also, I think too may of these
discussion just hash and rehash and go around in circles about things that I
have lost interest in. Pretty much from now on all my future thoughts about
Buddhism will be written on my blog in various articles or essays - though that
is not a total promise to never post again elsewhere, it is just that I probably
won't be posting much elsewhere anymore.

Part of that is that I am no longer working in a boring dead-end job stashed
away in a cubicle with a computer for hours on end everyday doing mind numbing
clerical work. At that time, internet communications were my only outlet. I have
now moved on to work that I find much more engaging, social, and enjoyable. Thus
my need for internet communication isn't so acute and the times when I am online
are not so much anymore.

However, I'd like to take this opportunity to make some comments about my own
spirituality and where I am coming from.

The first thing is that when I was in high school and first got interested in
Buddhism I was also very much into magical thinking and I really believed in the
reincarnation, karma,and God, and Jesus, and ceremonial magic and so forth and
so on. Zen first caught my attention because its koans were like the parables
and anecdotes of Jesus only with more depth and there were more of them. I was
also fond of Sufi stories too. I loved the Tao Te Ching and any mystical thing
that I could find. This was what I think of as my Hippy Taoist Marshmallow
Phase.

Then came the overwrought existential crises b.s. of later adolescence and it
was at that time I took up with SGI (for only two years) and then Won Buddhism
(an association that lasted from the late 80's to late 90's and I am still on
very good terms with them). During that phase I tried very hard to reconcile
Christianity and Buddhism as I wanted to have my spiritual cake and eat it too.
This was NOT an academic exercise with me at the time, though I took an academic
way of working through it. I really felt caught in the middle between the
transcendent promises of grace of Christianity and Buddhism with its teachings
about awakening and spiritual cultivation. Both made sense but both contained
elements that I recognized as irreconcilable at that time. Those much older than
me who had been trying to do the same thing (Roger Corless) told me personally
that I was trying to do the impossible and wished me luck. The thing is that it
was such a crises for me because I really really believed or wanted to believe
that both cosmologies (Christian and Buddhist) were real and really operative in
our lives. I didn't want either to be false or at least not totally falsified.

When I went to the Institute of Culture and Creation Spirituality to earn an
M.A. in Spirituality (please don't laugh) at Holy Names College one of the
things I was trying to do there was to find a balance and harmony between
Eastern and Western spirituality, between philosophy and the arts. While there I
wrote a thesis on the process philosophy of Alfred North Whitehead hoping to
find a bridge there between the process theologians inspired by him and
Buddhism. However, I also took classes on Wicca (with Starhawk), guitar, and tai
chi. This is one reason that I am really sick to death of people dismissing me
as an academic or intellectual. I understand it because all anyone here knows of
me is what I write but my spiritual path has always been EXTREMELY VISCERAL. It
has always involved bodily practices - whether sitting still for long periods or
chanting for long periods or performing elaborate ceremonies (whether Wicca or
Kabbalistic) or playing guitar or drumming or doing tai chi. Any spirituality
that is nothing more than creeds, theologies, or the recitation of words leaves
me cold and bored and unengaged. I am actually offended, to be honest, when
people consider me an intellectual or academic because I feel that is a
dismissive misunderstanding of what I am really all about. Still, I understand
why there is that impression.

Anyway, it was at that program that I really began to lost interest in theology
and philosophy. I lost interest in it. I saw that it was all just theory and
conjecture not rooted in concrete actuality but in abstractions about concrete
actuality. I also realized that all along my views of Christianity had been
primarily Buddhist. In my mind/heart Christianity was valued but Buddhism always
had the final word. It was at this point that I stopped worrying about whether I
was Buddhist or Christian. Dueling cosmologies no longer held an interest, and
in any case I realized all these metaphysical claims were extremely dubious
anyway and that what really mattered and held my interest and had practical
significance was what is really going on in and around me here and now. In
rereading the Buddha's teachings from that perspective (and it was about this
time that I was finally getting access to new and better translations of the
Pali Canon and Mahayana sutras) I saw with even more clarity than ever that what
was always being pointed to were actual practices and an awakening to what is
real right in front of us.

Metaphysical and theological claims and magical thinking and more overwrought
approaches to religion and spirituality became a kind of "been there done that"
thing with me at that point. Not that I no longer get worked up on occasion,
because of course I do. But I no longer take it all so seriously and I recognize
how extremely dubious all the claims made about reality are. What mattered to me
really changed. At that point I was still fascinated with and engaged by
Buddhist teachings and practices, esp. Nichiren Buddhism. At that point I wanted
to really get to the bottom of it. Did it still make sense even if I no longer
believed in it as a literal map of the metaphysical underpinnings of how things
work? Did NIchiren's reading of the Lotus Sutra really hold up in the face of my
broader and deeper knowledge of the Buddhist tradition? How about the Lotus
Sutra itself? All this time I was continuing my practice and even began training
to be ordained in the Nichiren Shu. I mention this because my writings like
Dharma Flower and my articles on the Life and Teachings of Shakyamuni Buddha,
and Lotus Seeds and Lotus World are all products of my attempts to double check
Nichiren Buddhism in light of what I had learned just as Nichiren himself double
checked everything by reading the sutras and treatises available to him; BUT AT
THE SAME TIME I was engaged in something that my writings do not express - I was
sitting for hours on end in seiza chanting the sutra and Odaimoku, I was
deepening my practice of silent sitting with Taigen Dan Leighton, I was engaged
in a very visceral and physical practice of the Dharma. This period was a time
of holistic practice and study of the Dharma, a body-mind endeavor that was
never ever a merely academic or intellectual one. It was also not one that any
longer depended on literal beliefs in anything metaphysical or in any invisible
entities or afterlife states or spiritual realms. It was not a rejection of any
of that either, but it no longer depended on such things.

I am now at a point where I look back and I think that many of the things I used
to care about so passionately and argued about so vehemently were just silly,
stupid, petty, and ridiculous. I now find such things tedious. Of course decades
from now I might read this and think the same thing about it. That is the
process of getting older and growing (or decaying?) into new perspectives -
hopefully deeper and broader but I won't take that for granted. Consequently I
more and more want to leave such things to those who are still interested in
them - metaphysical entities, tit for tat versions of causality, reincarnation,
gods and demons, transcendent saviors, magical (or magickal if you will)
principles and so forth and so on.


Am I still a Nichiren Shu Buddhist? Well, I still function as a minister and pay

my dues as such, and am in good standing in the big tent that is Nichiren Shu.
My approach to Nichiren Buddhism is, I believe, within the parameters of what
Nichiren Shu teaches and advocates but I also know that my views are not
necessarily shared by everyone within Nichiren Shu nor do I necessarily share
the exact views of other Nichiren Shu members or ministers and I am okay with
that just as for the most part they seem to be okay with me. But do I think of
myself as a Nichiren Shu Buddhist? Yes, I do. It is my community, I feel very
loyal to it, I have been trained and ordained by it (though my training is not
exclusively via Nichiren Shu), it is my lineage, and it is one that I would like
to share with others if possible and I continue to make it available to others
through my Sunday activities and online articles. On the other hand I am no
longer worked up about sectarian boundaries or rivalries, and I see a unity in
all the traditions of Buddhism that I think others miss to their detriment (in
my view). I also see the One Vehicle as reaching out in a deeply ecumenical way
to other traditions, fields, and endeavors. This is not to say that everything
is okay and acceptable, but it is to say that being critical and condemnatory is
no longer my thing - discernment is, and looking for what is wholesome is more
and more my thing (or at least I want it to be).


Basically I am going on my own way and if it offends others I am sorry it is not
my intention to offend you, it is my intention to be honestly who I am. If what
I do inspires others that is gratifying to me but not something I really want to
dwell on nor something I should focus on, rather just being honest and true to
myself and to what each situation really calls for is what I should focus on."

That is all.

Namu Myoho Renge Kyo,
Ryuei




4 comments:

  1. ryuei has lost sight of intellectual understanding and what FAITH is. like i said 4 years ago, ryuei and those like him have lost their faith because they do not follow the master nichiren. they follow their own mind or some other numbskull.

    seriously ryuei....................... wake up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. more proof that the poison has penetrated deeply. unfortunately buddhism is dead in japan, having become a business. there are no nichiren sects in japan that follow what nichiren and the lotus sutra teach. as nichiren says, if prayers are offered for the protection of the nation and disasters still continue to occur you can tell that an evil teaching has spread.
    gassho
    nikke

    ReplyDelete