Total Pageviews

Sunday, June 13, 2021

What type of meditation is chanting Namu Myoho renge kyo with devotion to the Lotus Sutra?

Answer: It is willpower consciousness or Ichinen and it is a mantra meditation: 

https://markrogow.blogspot.com/2020/08/from-lotus-sutra-and-its-mandala-by.html 


The most important silent Buddhist meditations are calming and insight meditations, Samatha and Vipassana meditation respectively. I would argue that both calming and insight are incorporated in the Lotus Sutra mantra meditation. There is no doubt, chanting Namu myoho renge kyo, we develop insight and the calming of our troubled or disordered mind. It also affords us great focus, and peace, and we accumulate the merits of the Buddha. Most importantly, we develop  the wisdom of the Buddha.


8 comments:

  1. I use to do silent sitting breath watching meditation and also Transcendental meditation for many years but I have found that I automatically experience that deep calm while chanting in front of Gohonzon accompanied with bursts of wisdom for what I need to know at the time....profound practice indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! I might add, I don't think it wrong before and after chanting, silently contemplating Gohonzon/Eternal Buddha/and or Namu Myoho renge kyo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And then go back to the chanting when I realise what l was previously doing before being bliss bombed by the joy of Myoho Renge Kyo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Then again, I ask, why did so many continue to chant predominantly Namu, instead of Nam when it became di rigueur to chant Nam?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Bodhisattva Mahasattva Greg with evil in his heart. How sad. Namu Myoho renge kyo.

    ReplyDelete