Total Pageviews

Friday, July 25, 2014

Reply to Mimasaka-bo (Mimasaka-ho gohenji) by Nikko Shonin

"Since I had been intending to contact you, I am very pleased to have this opportunity to write to you. This year marks the third anniversary of the Daishonin's passing, but I have taken ill and have not been feeling well.

When I recovered and regained my health, I had been intending to travel to any location to partake in the memorial services for our Master. But I have not recovered and have been unable to do as I had planned. I am disappointed and regret the fact that I have been unable to go everywhere I please to attend the services.

"The succession has changed and the third anniversary marking the passing of the Daishonin has already come and gone. The government must have taken some action with the treatise On Securing the Peace of the Land Through the Propagation of True Buddhism (Rissho Ankoku Ron), but do you have any information? The government will undoubtedly handle the treatise in some way, but I have recently been unable to go to Kamakura to get apprised of the latest news.
"Even now, my ill health has been preventing me from engaging in many activities. Thus, I have been unable to listen to what you have to say in person and have been left pretty much in the dark. Since the fall of this year, I have consulted Jakunichi-bo on many occasions to arrange to visit you at your residence, but I have been unable to go. More than anything else, it is absolutely deplorable that the Daishonin's grave site in the valley of Minobu is totally dilapidated from neglect and is defaced by the hoof tracks of deer. The Daishonin told me in his will: "If the steward Hakiri turns his back to the Law, my spirit will cease to reside in Minobu." I have not observed any particularly inappropriate behavior on his part.

Moreover, I, Nikko, have on my person a letter from our Master stating: "In all of Japan, not a single person was willing to accept me, but Lord Hakiri accepted me. Thus, I would like my grave site to be within Hakiri's domain, since trouble will undoubtedly arise while the head of state is unwilling to embrace true Buddhism." This is a matter that has been determined for generations to come, so how can one even posit the notion that the Daishonin's spirit does not reside in Minobu? After all, if there is unlawful behavior on the part of the steward, then it is only right to set him straight. How, then, can I even consider abandoning his tomb? Even the lowest of common folk in society will be critical of us if we forsake the Daishonin, our true Master. while we upheld the doctrine to never abandon the Master." (Nichiren Shoshu Seiten p. 554)

This is dated the eighteenth day of the tenth month in 1284, shortly before Nikko had his disagreement with Niko and Lord Hakiri, before leaving Minobu for Fuji.

No comments:

Post a Comment